Hand holding, general support and best of all a place to brag about the successes. Share with words. Share with photos. Share with video. This is your home place for the next 14 weeks. Let the retrieve journey begin.
So we just realized that the video cut out the last 2 retrieves :'(. I guess my phone ran out of store space (oops!). You totally missed my happy dance lol. Please let me know what we need to redo and we will get it done asap. Kratos definitely needs some R&R right now. This test took a lot out of him but he did phenomenal!
As a side note... I believe Kratos is keeping his eyes on me and strafing away from me because I did have to do an EC on our warm up (before the video) and he chose to give me sass and snip and then refused to pick up the dumbbell. This lead to a small battle of almost sitting on him to get him to the ground to pick up the dumbbell. We succeeded and then did a Good retrieve and gave him a good break with lots of conditioned relaxation before the test.
THIS IS A PASS. Your handling is spot on perfect and I in particular appreciate the thoroughness and carefulness with which you handled that last retrieve on the video. AND yes, there are those times when a dog 'choses to give the handler sass and snip and then refuse to pick up the dumbbell.' You did exactly the right thing which was follow through and insist that you 'Said what you meant and meant what you said.' And then, he believed you. THAT is 95% of the retrieve training process, getting the dog to believe you will ALWAYS follow through to help them succeed at following the command given.
So we just realized that the video cut out the last 2 retrieves :'(. I guess my phone ran out of store space (oops!). You totally missed my happy dance lol. Please let me know what we need to redo and we will get it done asap. Kratos definitely needs some R&R right now. This test took a lot out of him but he did phenomenal!
ReplyDeleteAs a side note... I believe Kratos is keeping his eyes on me and strafing away from me because I did have to do an EC on our warm up (before the video) and he chose to give me sass and snip and then refused to pick up the dumbbell. This lead to a small battle of almost sitting on him to get him to the ground to pick up the dumbbell. We succeeded and then did a Good retrieve and gave him a good break with lots of conditioned relaxation before the test.
Looking forward to your review and comments!
Rebekah,
ReplyDeleteTHIS IS A PASS. Your handling is spot on perfect and I in particular appreciate the thoroughness and carefulness with which you handled that last retrieve on the video. AND yes, there are those times when a dog 'choses to give the handler sass and snip and then refuse to pick up the dumbbell.' You did exactly the right thing which was follow through and insist that you 'Said what you meant and meant what you said.' And then, he believed you. THAT is 95% of the retrieve training process, getting the dog to believe you will ALWAYS follow through to help them succeed at following the command given.
SO WELL DONE. Whew!
Awesome Rebekah. Great handling. I’m sorry I didn’t get to see your happy dance lol
ReplyDelete