Hand holding, general support and best of all a place to brag about the successes. Share with words. Share with photos. Share with video. This is your home place for the next 14 weeks. Let the retrieve journey begin.
Thought you would enjoy seeing the progress so far. The first video is from Monday night and the second two are from tonight. I'd love your thoughts and pointers. Kratos was moving incredibly well and although he definitely could have done more retrieves on the ground I didn't want to push too hard.
Well, that first video is extremely important as you worked THROUGH Mratos sticking point. He experienced that "You said what you meant and meant what you said." Period. And Rebekah, your understanding of WHEN to do EC, when to simply apply forward pressure and WHEN to shift to dual EC position is spot on perfection. Great soft coaching by Corbin!
Kratos is learning thr lesson of his life, what we have worked towards accomplishing since that first ILL lesson when Jessi worked him. Kratos is learning that despite distractions and his willingness to offer his opinions, with teeth, STILL no matter WHAT, he IS required to do as commanded. Dog Obedience 1st...that is my mantra.
2nd video is great because Kratos understands what is coming with the set up, he is reading clearly that the retrieve is coming immeninently, and he is responding oh so well. And finally, he figures out he can "Swing" on his Front Place Board and not fall off🤭
And Brad the reason I am not correcting Corbin for his sideline coaching verbal support is because Corbin has fone all the qork, up to this week 9, WITH Kratos. Kratos needs Corbin's quiet and soft affirmations when he succeeds. With Mabel, because you have been 'the heavy pinch-hitter' and not Mabel's consistent handler all along, for Mabel, your commments and praise when Alice is working Mabel causes Mabel to lose focus. In Krayos case, he feeds of6 Corbin's soft (not to much) quiet sideline praise TO focus.
The difference is the history of whom has trained which dog consistently throughout the RC. Jessi. This is a CRITICAL point for you to remember as an Instructor.
"Train the dog in front of you in that moment." A true statement.
But also...
"Know the handler(s) history with THAT dog and train the handler(s) to succeed."
LOL😏 As an Instructor, each dog and handler(s) have their own unique quirks, perks and idiosyncrasies, I have to watch, know, pray, and shift what needs to be shifted so that team, dog and handler, CAN and DO, succeed.
Excellent. Kratos understands AND believes you Rebekah. THAT is 95% of the retrieve process.
Corbin just one pointer, 🤫 keep your praise and "yes" to yourself until AFTER Kratos picks up dB. Otherwise, we are training the dog the praise is for simply moving forward and that is not so. We are training the dog and praising FOR the job done well which is 'Fetch on command '. Make sense?
Rebekah good for you insisting he remain on Front Place Board UNTIL YOU are ready and UNTIL YOU send him. At this point in the retrieve training, we are incorporating known commands of Sit/Stay to strengthen control. The reality is the dog goes from Social Driev (Sit) to Prey Drive (retrieve) to then immediately shift again into Social Drive (the turn to SSIF). For the first time, you are training in 2 very different drives and control is critical.
Thank you for all of the comments Roxanne. It felt really good to be able to guide Kratos with the corrections and have him understand and not push things too far like in class this week. I know now that as his handler, I pushed Kratos too harshly and without the proper guidance to complete the task I asked of him. I also know that confrontation would have happened at some point but I can confidently say that I feel more prepared and better able to assess any new challenges we will face together as a team. I'm super excited for the test this week and can't wait to keep learning more!
Yes I understand the individual process of each handler and dog. Definitely makes sense and I’ll add it to my brain library . Each handler an dog can be so different got it also the dynamic between the two.
Thought you would enjoy seeing the progress so far. The first video is from Monday night and the second two are from tonight. I'd love your thoughts and pointers. Kratos was moving incredibly well and although he definitely could have done more retrieves on the ground I didn't want to push too hard.
ReplyDeleteWell, that first video is extremely important as you worked THROUGH Mratos sticking point. He experienced that "You said what you meant and meant what you said." Period. And Rebekah, your understanding of WHEN to do EC, when to simply apply forward pressure and WHEN to shift to dual EC position is spot on perfection. Great soft coaching by Corbin!
ReplyDeleteKratos is learning thr lesson of his life, what we have worked towards accomplishing since that first ILL lesson when Jessi worked him. Kratos is learning that despite distractions and his willingness to offer his opinions, with teeth, STILL no matter WHAT, he IS required to do as commanded. Dog Obedience 1st...that is my mantra.
Can't wait to review the other two videos!!
2nd video is great because Kratos understands what is coming with the set up, he is reading clearly that the retrieve is coming immeninently, and he is responding oh so well. And finally, he figures out he can "Swing" on his Front Place Board and not fall off🤭
ReplyDeleteAnd Brad the reason I am not correcting Corbin for his sideline coaching verbal support is because Corbin has fone all the qork, up to this week 9, WITH Kratos. Kratos needs Corbin's quiet and soft affirmations when he succeeds. With Mabel, because you have been 'the heavy pinch-hitter' and not Mabel's consistent handler all along, for Mabel, your commments and praise when Alice is working Mabel causes Mabel to lose focus. In Krayos case, he feeds of6 Corbin's soft (not to much) quiet sideline praise TO focus.
The difference is the history of whom has trained which dog consistently throughout the RC. Jessi. This is a CRITICAL point for you to remember as an Instructor.
"Train the dog in front of you in that moment." A true statement.
But also...
"Know the handler(s) history with THAT dog and train the handler(s) to succeed."
LOL😏 As an Instructor, each dog and handler(s) have their own unique quirks, perks and idiosyncrasies, I have to watch, know, pray, and shift what needs to be shifted so that team, dog and handler, CAN and DO, succeed.
Not always X + y = Z formula.
3rd video.
ReplyDeleteExcellent. Kratos understands AND believes you Rebekah. THAT is 95% of the retrieve process.
Corbin just one pointer, 🤫 keep your praise and "yes" to yourself until AFTER Kratos picks up dB. Otherwise, we are training the dog the praise is for simply moving forward and that is not so. We are training the dog and praising FOR the job done well which is 'Fetch on command '. Make sense?
Rebekah good for you insisting he remain on Front Place Board UNTIL YOU are ready and UNTIL YOU send him. At this point in the retrieve training, we are incorporating known commands of Sit/Stay to strengthen control. The reality is the dog goes from Social Driev (Sit) to Prey Drive (retrieve) to then immediately shift again into Social Drive (the turn to SSIF). For the first time, you are training in 2 very different drives and control is critical.
VERY well done, all 3 of you!!!
Thank you for all of the comments Roxanne. It felt really good to be able to guide Kratos with the corrections and have him understand and not push things too far like in class this week. I know now that as his handler, I pushed Kratos too harshly and without the proper guidance to complete the task I asked of him. I also know that confrontation would have happened at some point but I can confidently say that I feel more prepared and better able to assess any new challenges we will face together as a team. I'm super excited for the test this week and can't wait to keep learning more!
ReplyDeleteYes, I knew a confrontation was coming and would rather have that occur in my presence.
ReplyDeleteUploading the Lesson 9 Chair Test this morning
Yes I understand the individual process of each handler and dog. Definitely makes sense and I’ll add it to my brain library . Each handler an dog can be so different got it also the dynamic between the two.
ReplyDelete